Search This Blog

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Bananagrams For Dummies: A Tutorial

The bananagram, a verse form of Ulysses Poe's own invention, is a poetic elaboration upon a single word, the so-called spring word, which functions as a partial, near- or quasi anagram in that numbers of smaller words can be spelt using one or more of its letters. These single words, so-called sub-words or seed words, are then used as end rhymes in the lines of an extended poetic composition, the final word of which is the spring word.

Example:
 
(1) The spring word: M A C H I N E 

(2) A partial list of seed words derived from the spring word:

Ham, came, am, name, Che, "Ni," CIA, me...
 
(3) The bananagram:
 
Though he claimed, “I’m descended from Ham,”
as he conquered and saw and then came,
he’s descended from Eve, like I am.
Still, I fear I’ve forgotten his name.
   Next, he chanted, “I’m Cuban, like Che.
And you’re right: I’m like knights who says “Ni.”
(I suspect the guy’s gay, or is ex-CIA
on a visit -- or is it just me…?)...

(And so on for, in the case of this example's final form, a total of 60 lines) 

The split bananagram is similar to the bananagram except that every other end-rhymed line uses a word derived from the poem’s spring word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Borrownyms For Dummies: A Tutorial

The borrownym is a series of stanzas each of which consists of three pentameter lines. The first line of each stanza is identical or nearly...